25/12/09

The spotted hawk / El halcón moteado (Canto a mí mismo, 52)

Walt Whitman (1819-1892)


The spotted hawk swoops by and accuses me, he complains of my gab and my loitering.

I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world.

The last scud of day holds back for me,
It flings my likeness after the rest and true as any on the shadow'd wilds,
It coaxes me to the vapor and the dusk.

I depart as air, I shake my white locks at the runaway sun,
I effuse my flesh in eddies, and drift it in lacy jags.

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.

You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blood.

Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged,
Missing me one place search another,
I stop somewhere waiting for you.


`

El halcón moteado se abalanza y me acusa, denuncia mi charla y mi holgazanería.

También yo soy poco dócil, y también intraducible;
chillo mi bárbaro graznido sobre los tejados del mundo.

La última neblina del día se detiene por mí,
lanza mi imagen tras las otras, tan real como las demás en los yermos sombríos,
me atrae al vaho y al crepúsculo.

Me marcho como el aire, agito mis blancos cabellos al sol fugitivo,
esparzo mi carne en remolinos y la arrastro en enzarzados jirones.

Me lego a mí mismo al fango para crecer de la hierba que amo;
si me necesitas de nuevo, búscame bajo las suelas de tus botas.

Difícilmente sabrás quién soy o qué me propongo,
pero seré bueno para tu salud sin embargo,
y purificaré y fortaleceré tu sangre.

Si al principio fracasas al buscarme no te desanimes,
si no estoy en un sitio mira en otro;
en algún lugar me detendré a esperarte.

___
8The Walt Whitman Archive

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario