23/7/10

Owen Aherne and his dancers / Owen Aherne y sus bailarines

W.B. Yeats


I

A strange thing surely that my Heart, when love had come unsought
Upon the Norman upland or in that poplar shade,
Should find no burden but itself and yet should be worn out. William Butler Yeats
It could not bear that burden and therefore it went mad.

The south wind brought it longing, and the east wind despair,
The west wind made it pitiful, and the north wind afraid.
It feared to give its love a hurt with all the tempest there;
It feared the hurt that she could give and therefore it went mad.

I can exchange opinion with any neighbouring mind,
I have as healthy flesh and blood as any rhymer's had,
But O! my Heart could bear no more when the upland caught the wind;
I ran, I ran, from my love's side because my Heart went mad.


II

The Heart behind its rib laughed out. «You have called me mad,» it said,
«Because I made you turn away and run from that young child;
How could she mate with fifty years that was so wildly bred?
Let the cage bird and the cage bird mate and the wild bird mate in the wild.»

«You but imagine lies all day, O murderer,» I replied.
«And all those lies have but one end, poor wretches to betray;
I did not find in any cage the woman at my side.
O but her heart would break to learn my thoughts are far away.»

«Speak all your mind,» my Heart sang out, «speak all your mind; who cares,
Now that your tongue cannot persuade the child till she mistake
Her childish gratitude for love and match your fifty years?
O let her choose a young man now and all for his wild sake.»



Owen Aherne y sus bailarines

I

Qué extraño que mi corazón, sin duda, cuando llegó el amor que no buscaba,
sobre los altos páramos normandos o debajo de un álamo en la sombra,
no encontrara otra carga que a sí mismo y sin embargo no la resistiera.
No pudo soportar aquella carga y por esa razón enloqueció.

El viento sur le trajo el deseo y desesperación el viento este,
le volvió lastimero el viento oeste y asustadizo el viento del norte.
Temió causar algún daño a su amor con la fuerza de aquella tempestad;
temió el daño que ella pudiera hacerle y por esa razón enloqueció.

Yo puedo intercambiar mis pareceres con cualquier otra mente semejante,
tengo la carne y la sangre tan sanos como cualquiera otro rimador;
pero, ay, mi corazón no aguantó más cuando en los páramos sopló aquel viento.
Corrí lejos de al lado de mi amor porque mi corazón enloqueció.


II

Ríe en mis costillas mi corazón: «Tú me has llamado loco», me decía,
«sólo porque hice que rechazaras y te fueras de aquella muchachita;
¿cómo ha de unirse a tus cincuenta años ella, que tan salvaje fue criada?
Deja al ave enjaulada unirse a otra, y al ave libre que se una en libertad.»

«Tú piensas continuamente en mentiras, perdido criminal», le repliqué,
«y esas mentiras persiguen un fin: traicionar a este pobre desdichado .
Yo nunca he hallado en jaula alguna a la mujer que está junto a mí;
mas, ay, su corazón se partiría de saber que mi mente está muy lejos.»

«Díselo todo a tu alma», cantaba, «díselo todo a tu alma. Qué importa,
ya que tu lengua no persuadirá a esa niña hasta que confunda
su infantil gratitud con el amor y se empareje a tus cincuenta años.
Deja que encuentre ahora a un hombre joven para llenar su espíritu salvaje.»

__________________________________

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario